Home   |    * Newsletter   |    Lessons   |    20knotsnob Email   |    Buy/Sell   |    Contact   |    Message Board   |    Directory   |    Administrator

Message:


Dawn Patrol Thursday AM

Oct 19, 2016 by Markd

Desperate for some training in some wind to get ready for the Kona worlds I'm going to try for the legendary early morning Apalachee Bay easterly jet. Windy is trying to keep it a secret but it just might appear long enough to provide some footstrap action. Goal is to be there by 730 am time frame and sail a couple hours.



Replies:

Date: 10/21/2016
From: alexb

Good luck. BP didn't work out this morning. No wind, so I went to work. Too lazy to drive to CSB right now.
Date: 10/21/2016
From: fhawk

Looks like CSB today-headed over
Date: 10/20/2016
From: alexb

Heh, woke up Sunday at 6am, saw it was blowing at BP but just wanted to sleep. Then I decided to build up my new 29er since I had all my parts in XTR Di2, FOX iRD, all carbon. Sweet ride!

Was out at Ft Clinch State park the weekend before. Decent waves but the wind died for the 9m and didn't feel like rigging bigger. Didn't have the floaty boards with me either.




Mark,
I've never sailed at the bridge but always wanted to try to. I've kayaked out there. There's plenty of water depth but I don't know about the current.

I might try Bald Point tomorrow morning, Cobia St. There's a nice grassy launch spot and the water depth's usually better than Mashes. But it's going to be cold and I might get lazy. Saturday maybe possible at SGI and Sunday at CSB. COME ON WAvES!
Date: 10/20/2016
From: Markd

Well I did get out this morning almost as promised... about a half hour late, and sailed almost 2 hours in a weak NE breeze. Sailed off the Wildlife refuge and it was nice until I nearly got stranded out on a bar right after I had spooked a shark in the shallow seagrass. Had to get up front and heel the fin to get out into deeper water again. Not much wind but it was really beautiful out there early this morning! I'd like to get out again Sat morning and have a 46 cm fin so Alex and Fred, any further insights on where to sail are of great interest. Ochlockonee Bay on the W side of the bridge sounds like a good choice for a North wind if the water depth is OK. Have either of you sailed there before?
Date: 10/20/2016
From: Markd

Well I did get out this morning almost as promised... about a half hour late, and sailed almost 2 hours in a weak NE breeze. Sailed off the Wildlife refuge and it was nice until I nearly got stranded out on a bar right after I had spooked a shark in the shallow seagrass. Had to get up front and heel the fin to get out into deeper water again. Not much wind but it was really beautiful out there early this morning! I'd like to get out again Sat morning and have a 46 cm fin so Alex and Fred, any further insights on where to sail are of great interest. Ochlockonee Bay on the W side of the bridge sounds like a good choice for a North wind if the water depth is OK. Have either of you sailed there before?
Date: 10/20/2016
From: fhawk

Right - just saying where best east sailing is. Friday looks NNW which means CSB to me. Sun looks like it will be NE but maybe not strong enough. Wednesday looks promising at SGI. Alex where were you last Sunday- SGI was cranking- needed the 4.7- it blew most the day sideon about 10degrees. I I only lasted a few hours on the 5.3.
Date: 10/19/2016
From: Markd

Thanks but I also have to work and can be rigged and sailing in 50 min of leaving the house if I go SP... If no wind I will have my paddle!
Date: 10/19/2016
From: alexb

What are you guys looking at? Everything for Friday AM says NW or N and they're not forecasting a switch to NE until late afternoon. That's from Windalert, Windfinder and NWS. What east?

Best bet is Mashes or Keaton. First light is after the tide starts going out at Mashes, you wont be able to sail there with a fin >25cm and you'll still hit sand bars unless you walk out 200 yards. Luckily there's no oyster beds there. Keaton might not go off and is also pretty shallow.

Or you can try Ochlockonee Bay, over the bridge. https://goo.gl/vWzveK


Mashes Direction


Date: 10/19/2016
From: fhawk

If you want east or northeast wind in the morning, go to St George Island. Yes there will be a few waves too. For flat water Mashes Sands is ok but not as windy. SP will be the weakest. Fred h
Date: 10/19/2016
From: Charlie Yontz

Have fun out there! Windfinder is saying Friday morning it'll be blowin'! (Friday -7am gusts to 21 by 9am to 23.)
Date: 10/19/2016
From: paul

bummer - have an appt at 0830. enjoy.



Search (Enter Keyword[s]):
For questions or comments regarding the SPSC, please contact Commodore Mary Rolling

For questions or comments about this web site, please contact SPSC Webmaster.
To join our email list SPSC2 Yahoo Group, please go to SPSC2 Yahoo Group.
To Update your email information in the SPSC2 Yahoo Group, please contact SPSC Yahoo Coordinator.

Copyright 2008 - 2017 Shell Point Sailboard Club